Detox Cleanse Recipe
This is a thirty-day detox cleanse based on a system from Unicity. The Unicity cleanse pack runs over $100. This setup costs closer to $30. The Unicity system is very good, but perhaps a little pricey, so the Queen and I put our heads together, visited our local longevity/detox expert and came up with a good (equal) alternative.
30 Days, broken down into ten-day sections.
- Parafree–flushes intestinal parasites, and loosens intestinal gunk and compacted fecal matter.
- Bentonite solution–binds with inorganic compounds (typically toxins) in your intestines, and also draws them from body through intestinal walls
- Psyllium husk fiber. A good fiber plug moving through your system is like a bottle brush, and is perhaps the most important part of the system. Not all fiber is created equal. Metamucil and it’s clones are generally inferior.
- Senna tea. Naturally stimulates intestinal movement, provides that extra kick in the last third of the program.
First 10 Days:
- Two droppers full of Parafree.
- One tablespoon of Bentonite.
- One tablespoon of Fiber.
- First thing in the morning, on an empty stomache, 2 droppers full Parafree, and one tablespoon Bentonite, together in about 8 ounces of water.
- Wait twenty minutes, and take the Fiber in a tall glass of water. Mix well, and drink straight away. The fiber gels quickly and will become a thick mass if not drunk straight down. You can mix with orange juice, as a more palatable alternative.
- Wait about twenty minutes, then feel free your breakfast as normal.
In the event this takes too much time in the morning. . .
Protocol option B (a lessor, but viable alternative)
- At night: Take the Parafree and Bentonite mixture at night, just before bed, after allowing any dinner to clear you stomach.
- First thing in the morning: Take the fiber first thing in the morning. Wait twenty minutes, then eat breakfast as normal.
A couple of key points:
- It is important to take the Parafree and Bentonite on an empty stomach, to allow the supplements to work without interference, dilution, or unnecessary absorption from actual food.
- Wait the twenty minutes between the detox mixture and the fiber mixture and your first meal, again to allow the fiber to work as a cleansing unit, without unnecessary dilution from actual food.
Second 10 Days:
- Continue as above, plus:
- Add a dropper of Parafree in the evening right before bed. (or first thing in the morning, if you were on Protocol B).
- After Five days, increase that dose to two droppers.
Third 1o Days:
Add the Senna tea in the evening, time is not super important. The key here is gradually increase the steeping time. Start out with two-minutes, then increase 30 seconds each day to reach five minutes. This is a very important point, Senna tea is a powerful “motivator” and you will definitely regret going too strong, too soon.
I’ve found this regimen to be extremely effective. You’ll want to be sure your not traveling too much during this time frame, because the bowel movements can be unpredictable as you settle in.
It’s been a few years since I’ve done this cleanse, but the last go round I lost 10 pounds–mind you this was not fat, but gunk lining my small intestine, and compacted fecal matter in my colon (TMI?).
At any rate, you’ll likely experience some strange effects as your body starts to unload toxins and crap in your digestive tract. Parasites, tapeworms, acne, multiple bowel movements, frequent urination. Just ride it out, and try not to plan any long trips. I waited until my first half-marathon was out of the way. For me, getting this done as early in the year as possible is ideal, as it is usually the slowest time, with the least travel demands, and the race season still a few months away.
From a training perspective, this cleanse is great because clearing the gunk from your intestine is free weight-loss, but also will increase the nutrient absorption, making your training diet, and nutrition strategy much more effective.
Find me on Twitter. As always, please comment below.